Recipe: Fried Mediterranean gnocchi

I’m going to warn you - this food isn’t good for you. It’s at least as bad as pizza, maybe worse. It might look like a fresh, light, summery dish but it’s FULL OF BUTTER. And that’s fine.



I first came across the concept of frying gnocchi in Sasha Wilkins’ fantastic book Food, Friends, Family. She describes it as the ultimate hangover food because it’s stodgy and salty and cheesy and delicious, but I am not a woman who discriminates and I will eat this dish any time, any where.

I’ve barely tinkered with the original because it’s just so perfect, but I did add a handful of black olives which adds a fantastic umami.

It’s so easy to make, there’s no ingredient that’s tricky to find and it’s a perfect quick tea that’s also super delicious. The key is not to be tempted to stir or move the gnocchi as it’s frying. It might seem to take a while to crisp up, but patience is a virtue and not touching it will pay off.



Recipe for fried Mediterranean gnocchi (serves 2)

Ingredients:

1 packet of gnocchi
1 tbsp olive oil
25g butter
About 400g small, sweet tomatoes, halved
1 ball of mozzarella cheese
About 20 black olives, halved
Basil leaves

How to:

1) Cook your gnocchi according to the packet, then remove from the heat and drain.

2) Heat your butter and oil in a large, non-stick frying pan and when it’s hot, tip in the gnocchi and the tomatoes on top. It should sizzle quite a bit.

3) Don’t stir it! I know it’s tempting, but don’t!

4) When your gnocchi has started to catch and brown up (6-7 minutes), add in the mozzarella too and allow to melt. Scatter your black olives over the top.

5) As soon as your gnocchi are golden on the bottom and your mozzarella is melted, it’s ready to eat. I like crispy gnocchi and slightly burnt cheese so I leave it in as long as I can without it melting, but it’s ready to go as soon as you are.


6) Serve with basil torn over the top and a season to taste with salt and pepper.

Comments

Popular Posts